Sunday, June 13, 2010

Interview with Canadian Fashion Design Icon, Linda Lundstrom

Who enters Sharon’s of Hyde Park?
Why, none other than Linda Lundstrom, Iconic Canadian Fashion Designer herself!

Today Linda is wearing a black and white plaid collared jacket (the Lumber Jill Coat) over a gray woolly turtleneck (which is perfect for the gloomy, rainy weather), black skinny jeans semi-tucked into chunky brown ankle boots, topped off with a slitted gold tubular necklace and bracelet of her own.
This is the RESORT collection:

“People come who want to see the clothes and they see what they like, hoping to not have to go to stores and dig for garments while they are busy getting plane tickets”.
“The idea is to take everything you need for one vacation into one carryall.” “This is how you do it [and she just takes all of her garments still on the hanger’s and rolls them all up into a doughnut shape].
“I do NOT bask in the sun, but spend all of my time in the shade, and I still get a tan.

At this event were ladies in the 50’s+ age range (because that is who Linda’s clientele base are, a couple of which whom were sporting vintage, original Linda Lundstrom garments dating back to Fall/Winter 1977). One noted lady was a seemingly blinged out Grandma who was wearing a light teal, almost turquoise ruched sleeved dress complete with clean makeup, large diamond earrings and heels.

Jill Beretta meets iconic Canadian Fashion Designer Linda Lundstrom:
Questions:
1. What first sparked your love of fashion?

I just loved to sew. When I was younger, I did not want to look like everyone else. My Mother had a fabric store in a basement, and my Mother was very interested in fashion. Fashion was something we did together.

2. What was your “big break”?

My big break was when I won a Fashion Canada Scholarship, and went to Europe for a year to study fashion.
I attended Sheridan College in Toronto, then worked in Toronto for awhile, before going to Europe to apprentice in the field of fashion design.

3. Can you please tell The Look Book readers of the different type of fabrics you use in your collections?
I like to use fabrics with personality, texture, and movement!
I have an interest in the way fabric drapes. I relate fabric to people: some people you get along with, and some you do not!
Although I have never met a silk I did not like, some jersey fabrics I love, and some I do not.

4. Please tell me about your signature Leparka coat. What was the inspiration for the creation of that particular fashion piece?

I had a vision. This vision just kept on coming back and back to me. I knew this vision was a parka coat, and although at the time I was mainly making dresses, I went for it and created the coat that is now called the Leparka.

5. Can you offer any pieces of advice for young hopefuls hoping to pursue a career in fashion?

If you want to work in fashion, you cannot picture yourself in any other industry but the fashion world. In my opinion, there are people who love fashion, and people who ARE fashion. The difference between people who love fashion, and the people who ARE fashion is that people who love fashion should work at a bank and buy nice clothes, but people who ARE fashion devote every cell of their being 24/7 to fashion. People who love fashion judge others based on what they are wearing, and people who ARE fashion do NOT judge others based upon what others are wearing. If you want to work if fashion, you will work for free. Fashion is can be a career, but fashion is an art form. People who want to work in fashion must be an informed member of society, in the area of politics and world issues, art, and architecture, and be able to relate those facets of society in a way to fashion.

Thank you so, SO much for speaking with us Linda. It was such an honour to meet such an icon this evening.

No comments: